Follow nighttimebros on Twitter Follow us for news, opinions and tips.

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Where to Find Happiness

By David.



What I miss the most about not working full time are the late nights and the late mornings. In my uni days I'd wake up at twelve in the afternoon and realise that I'd missed a lesson or so, and that'd be okay.

In my days of waking up early to work and going home late because of work, I frequently fear two things:


1. Getting fired

2. Being poor when I'm old


Work creates an addiction in us. And that addiction is money. When I was a student I had no money. I had freedom and time, but freedom and time were no good because there was no money. Now I no longer have freedom and I have little time. But I have money. Every payday I'd receive a few thousand dollars in my bank account and I'd be happy. Then I'd spend it all the next day, so afterwards I'd be unhappy. That unhappiness would then continue on every day for the rest of the month until the next payday.

I wonder what I'd do if I was given a million dollars right now. I know what I'd do. Id swear for a while and then I'd spend it. I'd buy a big house. I'd buy things for my family. I'd give a bunch of it to charity. I'd travel all over. I'd be happy and drunk most of the time.

And then the money would run out. And then I'd start complaining about life. And then I'd start complaining about work. And then I'd have to sell my big house because I can't afford to maintain it. And that I'd try and make it all back through gambling and e-mail marketing schemes.

I've been reading a bit about rich people. People who become rich and retire young. They become bored of the freedom and decide to start working again, even if they don't have to. We see the rich and we ask, "Why? Why do they get it so easy?" They don't. They work their asses off. No matter how many times we complain about work, it seems as though we can't live without it. We were trained to work. We were educated to work. We live in a world where although money can't necessarily guarantee us happiness, it can certainly make it easier to achieve it. And that can only be achieved by working, and working, and working...


Anyway, this is my wish list for the week:



1. Time. I want time to continue learning a language.

2. Time. I want time to brush up my Photoshop skills.

3. Time. I want more time to work on my novels.

4. Time. I want more time to sleep.

5. Time. I want a month to deplete my internal brainwashing and watch DVDs and go out and do nothing productive and inspire nothing productive.

6. To stop grinding my teeth in my sleep.

7. A private jet and a license to fly that private jet.

8. Free schooling everywhere.

9. A two storey house next to Times Square.

10. For payday to come early.




...........

And now a word from the bros:

We're building an awesome video game app, so we need cash bad! Please help this nutso project of ours come to life by making a small PayPal donation. With your donation, you'll be able to help us hire developers and put a bright new game into phones and tablets worldwide.



No comments:

Post a Comment