Follow nighttimebros on Twitter Follow us for news, opinions and tips.

Thursday, October 28, 2010

House Design: Odinson House

by Alvin


Firstly, apologies for the lack of posts on my part.  It's been a busy & bumpy road; purposely busy, out of my control bumpy.  But with some breathing time awarded, I can give you a rundown of my latest design.

Similar to the previous house design, my fictional clients were again the arty type, but this time: savvy to natural materials & open spaces for comfort and creativity.   It took me weeks of feverish sketching to finally get a design that felt right to me - a week before all my drawings were due; that's the problem with my creativity sometimes: it can be a real bitchface & starts kicking in at the last minute.

Normally I work with elevations first before grounding out the plans, & normally I need to finalise the design of one elevation before all the others fall into place.  So after that eureka moment - stroking the iconic shape of my design in place - one evening, my weekend was a non-stop, noon till twilight assignment finisher.

I was inspired by an assortment of different buildings: most conceptual and derived from my favourite inspirational architectural book.  But they all steered me to what I wanted: a majestic structure that was more curvy, an unconventional shape, open and harmonious with nature than rectilinear & a monolith out of the earth.




An Australian architect's (his full name always escapes me: "something" Godsend?) slat facade, box building gave me some incentive to make a sculpture like form that reached ark like into the sky on a sea of earth, and wasn't broken up by windows and actual house details; protecting them underneath a similar structural facade concept.





I'm getting tired; only 4 hours of sleep last night can do that to you. + Nikita's on TV atm & if there's one rule to live by: it's that Maggie Q (& Lyndsy Fonseca, hmmmmm) take priority.  So if you can read, some of my explanations & choices are in the images below.

Oh yeah.  I call it Odinson.  Thor & Loki got nothing on it.






.

...........

And now a word from the bros:

We're building an awesome video game app, so we need cash bad! Please help this nutso project of ours come to life by making a small PayPal donation. With your donation, you'll be able to help us hire developers and put a bright new game into phones and tablets worldwide.



No comments:

Post a Comment