Follow nighttimebros on Twitter Follow us for news, opinions and tips.

Saturday, September 4, 2010

And What of Totems?

by Alvin















By now the Inception buzz has started to die down, enough to extinguish not "slept on" notions of pointless sequels, diluted spin-offs, & forcing a perfectly good stand alone into a bleeded franchise, all of which would leave a bad taste in the mouth a few mornings after.

It was interesting to interpret dreams as tangible and constructable, focused enough to hold the consciousness of others without deteriorating from the complex weight, and deep enough to store & steal from, as if its volume held up to the integrity of the mind.

And what of Totems?

Extensions of reality that, through intimate associations, can almost become an incorruptible ideal.  That no manner of fantasy, impossibility, temptation or feasibility, can corrupt and cause it to become anything other than what a heart, soul or emotion has willed it to follow.  Imagine a reverse, whereby reality would need a Totem of sorts to remind the inhabitant that there is more to life than what can be believed and touched.  A component sensitive and unique to one, which helps realise that there is still magic under every explanation, still room for flights of fantastic, heart warming impossibilities, and the weird and the silly, and that imagination is the best source of colour, humanity and bravery.

If I dream, my Totem would be a gleaming, silver ring destined from my hand to the finger of someone cherished.  Lovingly shaped and natural like the wind against the stalk of wheat.  And even if I remembered, noticed it, felt it, or swore I wore it.  That silver eclipse would never be on the bed of my palm, assuring me of its rightful possession.  But as the fantasy is realised - that what I breathe, caress and cry from is not what I hoped - what should've been forever absent, is back where it came from; never left and in the present of my grip.  Its intended owner, oblivious of its existence.

Though, if this was a reverse.  My totem to escape reality would simply be this: a message scrawled on a napkin, telling me I was more, that I was needed, and that I was dear.

...

...........

And now a word from the bros:

We're building an awesome video game app, so we need cash bad! Please help this nutso project of ours come to life by making a small PayPal donation. With your donation, you'll be able to help us hire developers and put a bright new game into phones and tablets worldwide.



No comments:

Post a Comment