Follow nighttimebros on Twitter Follow us for news, opinions and tips.

Friday, September 17, 2010

Devil May Cry reboot/remake = SUX

by Alvin


I don't know about you, but this revamp of the ground-breaking series came as quite a surprise.  Especially when they introduced a new character in the last game (*cough* Nero *cough*) that gave me the impression - would replace Dante from now on.

So running into the trailer proposing a remake of the series got me all excited like a junkie about to open a warehouse full of FBI seized heroin with no soul in sight.  It didn't matter that the original series was now defunct & left "hanging" in ways; it didn't matter that what very little story was going to be replaced with hopefully something with a lot more substance & a lot less cheesy grindhouse; it didn't matter - you get the drift.

The obvious grittiness the new development team were aiming to achieve hit all the right notes for me, as I saw it as a direction that heralded a mature opportunity for storytelling & horror.  And I was blasphemously hoping a different take on the gameplay, ala "less ridiculous-like" & maybe more "substantial", ie different methods of dispatching foes utilising particular items, techniques, etc.  But I soon corrected myself; that's what DMC is all about anyway - tweaks are necessary, but a complete overhaul would be insane.  I was also hoping for a supernatural & physical world a bit more grounded in our own reality; less fantasy & more based on the myths intertwined in our history's relationship with the paranormal, which would support the new gameplay elements I mentioned above - ie iron against spirits, silver against werebeasts, exorcisms against demons, etc.  But the still fictional keeping of the world; evident in the architecture, did not stain my hopes.

Now everything was keeping the "new take" still within the boundaries of what DMC should & is, my biggest gripe however (get ready for it!) is how they revamped Dante himself.  A more badass yet serious character (something like the Dante in DMC2 - even though everyone disapproved; I preferred him actually); matured, less childish wisecracks & more desperado like & fearsome in his demeanor, was what I was praying for - a fresh take that would suit the new grit of the visuals.

But instead we get the complete opposite & in my eyes - an inferior version of the original.  Now I know its just the first trailer, & it probably doesn't do the character justice yet, but first impressions count & this is sour to my taste buds. 





WHERE IS THE SILVER HAIR!
Why a lanky, skinny, junkie looking kid!
Where's his bravado & sex appeal!
WHERE IS THE SILVER HAIR!
A whip sword?! ... okay that's pretty cool...
Chain smoker!
Punk ass!
etc, etc...

Yeh, yeh... yeh...

...exactly!


.

...........

And now a word from the bros:

We're building an awesome video game app, so we need cash bad! Please help this nutso project of ours come to life by making a small PayPal donation. With your donation, you'll be able to help us hire developers and put a bright new game into phones and tablets worldwide.



No comments:

Post a Comment