Follow nighttimebros on Twitter Follow us for news, opinions and tips.

Friday, June 17, 2011

Mutant Ninja Turtles

by Alvin


Even more so than the Transformers, the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles are my favourite retro property ever!

The early 90's cartoon was entertaining, but too kiddy for my liking - it was the original comic & it's subsequent media versions that I love the most.. I guess I'm too engrossed in my cynical age, but dark, gritty, violent & realistic are my tastes these days, & I remember the first ninja turtles movie being the best thing ever - not as dark as the original comic, but on par with realism and the spirit of the original that I appreciate it even more now.. the reboot of the franchise with the 2003+(?) cartoon series was also excellent - there's actual action!

I've been trying to do my take on the ninja turtles for quite some time now, & it's only recently my hand followed my brain & came up with something decent:  my versions aren't teenagers anymore, they're in their early or mid-twenties & have gone through a lot of maturity but are still at their core the characters we know and love.. story wise, I did have a synopsis but I think it needs a lot more thought & work.. I've decided to give these brothers a family name - seeing as how Splinter was a pet of Hamato Yoshi, I figured he'd adopt his surname in memory of him.  So the turtles would be sons under Splinter Hamato's family, hence: Leonardo Hamato, Michelangelo Hamato, Raphael Hamato & Donatello Hamato..

It's been real fun, so I'll definitely carry on with more re-designs of turtle characters.. at the moment I'm excited to do my take on The Shredder & Splinter.. so watch this space peeps!

p.s. If you want to know more about the turtles in a half-shell - turtle power!  I'd recommend checking out their wiki & just losing yourself in the richness of the characters & story.


.

...........

And now a word from the bros:

We're building an awesome video game app, so we need cash bad! Please help this nutso project of ours come to life by making a small PayPal donation. With your donation, you'll be able to help us hire developers and put a bright new game into phones and tablets worldwide.



No comments:

Post a Comment