Follow nighttimebros on Twitter Follow us for news, opinions and tips.

Thursday, October 1, 2009

Getting Published: Short Story Competitions and Magazines

By David



One way to get recognised in a depressingly competitive industry is to get your work published in magazines and short story competitions.

Tom Cho, a recently published novelist I met in the Brisbane Writer's Festival, told me that his publisher initially took notice of his writing through a literary magazine (I think he told me it was Voiceworks, but don't quote me on that). As Tom's work progressed throughout the years, the publisher realised that he was the real deal and offered him a publishing contract.

There are several short story competitions and literary magazines out there. Join and enter as many as you can. My first successfully published short story was published by The Melbourne Age, and that did wonders for my already bloated ego.

I must warn you, however, winning a short story competition or getting your work published in a magazine is a lot harder than you might think. Art is subjective and beauty lies within the wallet of the publisher, so don't be too put down when you have to rely on luck, coincidence and a shitload of rejection. I believe it's just a way of testing your commitment to your dream.

If you are under 25 and live in Australia, I recommend trying to get your work published in Voiceworks, because they respond to every submission with honest, constructive feedback. If you subscribe to them, you'll also receive regular newsletters that detail several of Australia's leading writing competitions.







.

...........

And now a word from the bros:

We're building an awesome video game app, so we need cash bad! Please help this nutso project of ours come to life by making a small PayPal donation. With your donation, you'll be able to help us hire developers and put a bright new game into phones and tablets worldwide.



No comments:

Post a Comment