Follow nighttimebros on Twitter Follow us for news, opinions and tips.

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Bret Easton Ellis - Imperial Bedrooms


Cover of the book.



By David.




All my friends know I'm a big fan of Bret Easton Ellis. I loved Less Than Zero. I loved Glamorama and Rules of Attraction and American Psycho. But I’m not so sure about Imperial Bedrooms.

Written as a "sequel" to the author’s debut novel, Less Than Zero, the story follows Clay as he returns to L.A. and bla bla this bla bla that.

I’m sleepy. The bottom line is this: Clay sounds different and the plot seems lazy, just like this post. Now a little whiney and self indulgent, Clay’s once bleak and minimalist voice sounds like a mix of Victor Ward from Glamorama and Bret Easton Ellis (who wrote as himself) from Lunar Park. The mystery is gone. He no longer tries to hide the violence and the evil lurking within L.A. and its people; he points it out directly, which, to me, ruins the poetic subtlety present in Less Than Zero. He doesn’t sound like Clay. He sounds like Bret Easton Ellis.

I like the title though.

Anyway I’ll still keep reading his books because I can’t help but still be a fan and he's still a great writer bla bla bla good night.

.

You can buy Imperial Bedrooms and/or Less Than Zero (or read their reviews) from Amazon here:


...........

And now a word from the bros:

We're building an awesome video game app, so we need cash bad! Please help this nutso project of ours come to life by making a small PayPal donation. With your donation, you'll be able to help us hire developers and put a bright new game into phones and tablets worldwide.



No comments:

Post a Comment