Follow nighttimebros on Twitter Follow us for news, opinions and tips.

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Brian Wood & Becky Cloonan's "DEMO"

by Alvin




Starting off with a concept that was more akin to the TV series "Heroes", but with more gritty teen angst and young adult themes.  Brian Wood & Becky Cloonan's, and more importantly "My favourite" comic series grew to encompass more themes surrounding relationships - than how super powers affect the lives of ordinary Americans - the further the series met the end of its first run.

And boy oh boy was I hooked, after I read my first issue of demo (the 6th? issue in) about a young, half asian outcast who has enough of his neighbourhood's discrimination against him and his family - unleashing a deathly power in response to his pain.  As a whole "Demo" immersed me in stories deeper in humanity's psyche than the Fantastic Voyage taking a detour up grey matter.



Now in truth, not all the issues captured me, but I did have a favourite:


MIXTAPE's love story was in my eyes an original, subtle feast of captivation and heart - tragic, but cleverly told in an original concept.  I really recommend you read the Demo compilation if only for this one story, or through the lucky fates, find the one issue in your local comic stockists, friend's stash, online seller, or God forbid: planted in the nest of a Roc up in the Himilayas.

A series already a few years old; what relevance does it have now?  Well "Volume two" is already up and running - single issues already on shelves, with the paperback due sometime next year.

So if anyone loves trends, this is one to follow and one to line my Christmas stocking with if you're fresh out of ideas for what to get me.

 














.

...........

And now a word from the bros:

We're building an awesome video game app, so we need cash bad! Please help this nutso project of ours come to life by making a small PayPal donation. With your donation, you'll be able to help us hire developers and put a bright new game into phones and tablets worldwide.



No comments:

Post a Comment